Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Military State

Walking back to my apartment tonight I came across two groups of Military Patrols walking downtown.

Backtrack to yesterday. I was talking to Danielle about Linping and my thoughts on how it didn't really differ that much from any other big city that I have been to. Seeing the patrol tonight makes me retract that statement.

Seeing them reminded me that I am in a Communist-State run country. Many of the freedoms that I take for granted in Canada just aren't hear yet. Sure, China is much better than it was even 10 years ago, but it still isn't open.

It also makes me think that the guys with guns that I saw on Monday weren't related to the earthquake.

Also, for the second time in two weeks a foreigner was attacked within two hours from me. This time though, it doesn't appear to me mob violence. The story that the guy is telling just sounds fishy. He is quite vague with what he was doing that night and where he was when it happened. My guess is that he was drunk and started mouthing off to the wrong person. His attack though does have many people talking about contigency plans for leaving the country if this keeps happening.

My contingency plan? Load a fresh battery and memory card and start snapping away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home