Monday, March 31, 2008

Success! NDS

So today I decided to head into Hangzhou since I had nothing else going on. I also thought it would be a great time to pick up that Nintendo DS Lite that i had been lusting over for the rainy days of China.

This morning I head out of my apartment at 9:30 am. Just make it down to the bus stop in time to catch the K-9 bus that heads to the South Bus Station. I have my music kicking out some Scary Kids Scaring Kids and everything is looking up for a day near the lake. I make it to the South Station, pay my 4 rmb and jump on the K509 that very quickly fills up with travelers and workers alike. I turn up my music and settle in for the 25 Km trip.

About half way into the trip a lady jumps out of her seat, covering her mouth and running to the back of the bus for the garbage bin. Ugh, the smell... So for the next 20 minutes, I and the rest of the passengers have to deal with a hot, packed, funky smelling bus.

Well I end up making it to Hangzhou, jump off the bus and start to walk to West Lake. (yes, for all my Chinese friends, I walked from the East Station in HZ to West Lake) I found a killer silk market that took up nearly 2 square blocks. Hundreds of shops selling everything from suit jackets and neck ties, to Hugh Hefner Sleep Wear, to raw silk fabric.

I push on.

I make it to West Lake, I grab my directions to Ding'an Video Game store. I find it but before I go in, I check my wallet...

Crap, only 1000 RMB. Surely not enough.

I walk to the first bank I can find. I put my ATM card in and attempt to take some cash out. No dice. I try again. Once again denied. I head around the corner to a different bank. It's closed for lunch. I find a third bank. Same as the first, it will not allow me to take money out on my ATM card.

Now this is a problem that I have run into many times while here. The only bank that seems to work are, of course, HCBC and ICBC. Wouldn't you know it, these are the two banks that I have not passed on my way here so I have no idea where to find one.

By this point, I am hungry, tired of walking and getting irritated. I break down, go back to Agriculture Bank of China, think to my self "Screw it!" and use my Visa to take some cash out. I know that I am going to get hit with like $10 in service fees, but i really didn't care at that point.

I grab my cash, head back to the store, and am instantly greeted by the most glorious sight. A cabinet of Nintendo DS Lites and a stack of games. Like a jewel, Pokemon Diamond in ENGLISH!!! I quickly pay my 1450 rmb, grab my Chinese version NDSL (Called the iQue DS in China)and head to Hooters to treat myself to a burger and beer for my hard work!

1 Comments:

Blogger A few words about Lisa.... said...

Vance you rock. I would have given up and gone home. lol Keep up the blogging. Its entertainment for me. haha

LoveFrom Lisa aka Shutterbug.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 1:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home