Friday, April 04, 2008

How to Stand Out Even More

So today I decided that I needed another means of transportation. Enter my new skateboard. To get my new deck, I had to once again take the K-509 bus to Hangzhou.

If anyone has ever been on the number 16 bus in Saskatoon during rush hour, well that has NOTHING on the K-509 to Hangzhou. First off, I tried to catch the K9 from my apartment to the South Bus Station. No dice. The bus that pulls up just keeps on driving as the thing is clearly packed to the gills. I decide to walk.

20 minutes later I get to the terminal and try jumping on the K509. Well the first bus was too full so I decide to grab the next one. The second that the doors are open, it is a sea of people all rushing to get a seat. I am not one of the lucky ones. 40 minutes of standing, having zero personal space, and funky smells (Durian anyone?)

I get to Hangzhou, I find the store thanks to Pipi's directions and 15 minutes later I walk out with an Element Deck, Thunder Trucks, Spitfire wheels, clear grip tape and all the hardware I need for four wheel fun.

Now with all the parts, I walk over to West Lake to assemble my new toy. Well in the first five minutes, there is a crowd of over 100 people all watching me put my deck together. This is something that I have gotten somewhat used to.

It doesn't matter what I am doing, I draw a crowd. I guess being a 6'3" white guy in a sea of short Asians you have to expect people to look at you. However, people here have no concept of subtlety. If they are interested, they will stare, take pictures and flat out just start talking to you.

Once again, I had my picture taken. This time though, rather than doing it covertly, the person came up, asked if he could get his picture taken with me and after I said sure, he had his friend take our picture. I just don't get it...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I thought you were meant to be the paparazzi! in fact you are the celebrity!

Friday, April 04, 2008 7:11:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Burke said...

hey man, any luck finding a battery grip that'll fit my D40??

Saturday, April 05, 2008 1:10:00 AM  
Blogger A few words about Lisa.... said...

I want my picture with you when you come back. ;-)

Sunday, April 06, 2008 8:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

esay, juanita and I are getting tight , like me and yo mama. need to see some photo of meat stick vendors - later
ps it's may here!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 3:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home