Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Quake Aftermath

--------------------------------------------------------
I have pictures that go with this post, but blogger will not allow me to upload them for some reason, most likely due to the internet being locked down as per my message below...
----------------------------------------------------------


it has been over one week now since the earthquake. I am quite surprised at the whole ordeal. For the most part the government has been very open with access to the media. They have let most major news networks into the country and have given them full access.

In an act of respect, all the fun has been taken out of the country. They turned off the internet and TV. Actually, they just blocked gaming sites like WoW servers as far as the net is concerned. TV, on the other hand... I have roughly 60 stations on my digital cable box. Right now around 50 of those are broadcasting the same CCTV1 feed. The rest are broadcasting various other quake related news. As for my specialty channels, National Geographic and Star Movies, they just turned them off outright. They have a message on the screen that says the channels will be turned off until the 21st.

Yesterday was the seventh day. A moment of silence was held at 2:38 pm. The exact time of the quake. I took this opportunity to shoot some pictures. It was a small affair at People's Square but I covered it none the less. I also donated some cash that I had on hand, I was given two roses. Not wanting to carry them and deal with my cameras, I found a pretty girl and her, I am assuming, young sister, and gave them the flowers. They said thanks and I was off feeling good.

So I almost dropped a cool $800 on a watch. Almost...Then I came to my senses. I have been thinking for a long time that I would like to own a Leica. This should not be news to anyone. I almost bought my former teachers from him. I have since renewed my interest in one. After a quick scan of ebay I am thinking that now could be the time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home