Saturday, February 03, 2007

Can't quit me

Sometimes the way you were brought up is with you forever. I am a problem solver... This will be with me always. I need to tinker.

Enter my newest challenge...

I downloaded the new iTunes. The main reason I switched was because before I came to school I ripped all my CD's so that I would have music while I was here. Well 30 gigs of music is hard to organize. iTunes is a perfect way to keep everything nice and sorted. Problem, I have limited space on my laptop. To fix that I have a 250 gig external drive. Problem, I only have 2 usb ports and they are taken up by my keyboard and mouse. So how can i listen to music and still retain my ease of typing? Simple. I found a device called the Liunksys NSLU2. It is a NAS storage device running Linux that you hook an external drive up to and then you can share the drive over a network.

Perfect! Only the thing costs $135. Enter Ebay. I just picked up a new small form factor computer. It has been hacked to run any flavor of linux and it currently has a version of DSL (Damn Small Linux) installed. The cool thing, it is running off a compact flash card. 50mb total OS install size. Damn nifty!

So long story short, I am going to install mt-daapd and use it as an iTunes server so I can share my music to all the computers on the network in the house.

Also, just to geek out even further, I found a program that allows me to control my laptop with my cell phone via bluetooth. It is basically a remote like the MacBook Pro's have. Wee!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!!?? I think? I don't know what you are talking about but it sounds like you have things sorted. I'm pretty sure i could launch a small nuclear device with my new tv and receiver,(I've been watching too much '24') but alas like my computer, I only know the most basic functions.although I do know more than Brian! cheers, Dani

Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lost after iTunes...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 1:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home